The Heroes Foundation is seeking an Executive Director to guide our dynamic organization to become Indiana’s leading advocate for the cancer community. We are in the midst of continued growth, increasing impact and innovation. To continue to carry out our mission – to provide meaningful support to cancer patients, education to promote cancer prevention, and resources to advance research for a cure – we need an equally dynamic and passionate leader.
The Executive Director will be responsible for the overall management and execution of the Foundation’s strategic plan. In this role, we rely on you to create opportunities through development for continued event, program, and organizational growth while managing a growing staff. The ideal candidate demonstrates 3 core traits: understanding and passion for fighting cancer (self-starting passion), empowering others (leadership), and appetite for fueling growth (development).
Conceived in October 2000, the Heroes Foundation started as an idea amongst family and friends. The organization officially took the name Heroes Foundation in May 2001. The Heroes Foundation is a registered 501(c)(3) public charity.
Management and Governance
- Lead and scale a high-growth organization by way of strategic development, shaping processes and developing an infrastructure that will take the HF to the next level.
- Team management – mentor, team builder, and creator of positive cultures. Execute a capacity to manage, coach, and evaluate staff.
- Create a working environment that recognizes and rewards creativity, passion and excellence reflective of the HF’s mission.
- Work with the Board of Directors to create and execute strategic plans, creating and managing an annual budget, setting KPI’s, specifically tying strategies to operations allowing the HF to achieve desired plan results.
- Guide strategy that allows the staff and volunteers to find and execute event planning, program planning, and execution efficiencies.
- Serve as the staff representative on the Board’s Executive Committee.
- Drive fundraising and recruitment. Successfully develop partnerships with corporations, foundations, and individual donors.
- Manage development and partnership activities, including use of technology in all phases of development planning, sales, activation and reporting.
- Work to create new and expanded strategies to diversify the HF’s funding base.
- Ensure the HF supports major third-party fundraisers benefiting the organization.
Mission integration and event & program support
- Ensure the HF’s mission and vision are practiced throughout the organization.
- Raise visibility of the HF in the local, and statewide communities.
- Partner with founders, as the public face and personality of the HF, maintain comfort level while speaking to community partners, business executives, elected officials, media, individual citizens and other stakeholders about the accomplishments and potential of the HF model.
- Engage in continuing education related to cancer support, prevention, and research development.
- Serve as the main contact and liaison to all health care contacts and beneficiary partners.
- Seek opportunities to collaborate with other non-profit organizations, in particular as it applies to the HF’s mission and vision.
- Maintain a strong knowledge of financial management including understanding and analyzing financial data, preparing and presenting budgets and create systems designed to save money while increasing efficiencies.
- Oversee development and manage the organization’s brand including the name, identity, intellectual property, traditional and digital communications, and merchandising.
- Oversee development of the HF’s programs and services.
- At minimum, a bachelor’s degree in administration, philanthropy, marketing, or business.
- Five years of successful development, marketing/public relations, event planning, and organizational management experience.
- A motivated, passionate, self-starter.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and writing and verbal communication skills.
- Very adept at managing multiple concurrent projects, involving multiple interested parties.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, website software/analytics and fundraising databases, experience with peer-to-peer software/applications, CRM experience, and social media.
- A passion for fighting cancer and an interest and/or participation in health-related cause activities, wellness.
If you look like a potential candidate for this position, please contact the Heroes Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org.